28 Feb Alert Level 2
New Zealand will be in Alert Level 2 (excluding Auckland who will be in Level 3) for at least the next 7 days (pending Government review), the WSSSA Executive have engaged the Alert Level 2 protocols for Secondary School sport, including and importantly, the guidance for NO Spectators at Waikato Secondary School Sport Competitions and Events.
As you will recall, Secondary School Sport can proceed under Alert Level 2, with all fixtures being Spectator Free. This ensures that schools can manage the 100 person gathering limit or any other limits placed upon the organisers by venues. This decision has the safety of students and team support staff as a priority and follows the Public Health guidance of the Government, Sport NZ and NZSSS. We ask schools to please communicate this through their sport community as widely as possible.
We ask your school community to please respect the wishes of all schools, sporting codes, and our venue facilities and do your part to ensure the safety of our students so they can continue their competitions.
A summary of the guidance is listed below:
- NO SPECTATORS by request of WSSSA Executive are to be present at Secondary School Sport fixtures under Alert level 2
- All School teams to complete a Team Register of authorised attendees. Players and team support that are eligible to attend the fixture venue .
- All sport codes follow the Public Health best practices guidelines advised through their code where appropriate.
- Where possible, still ask all your school community to use the NZ COVID Tracer App at any venue they attend.
- At all times people in any open space venues must follow Public Health guidelines on social distancing.
School Sport NZ
SSNZ are working with their event providers over the coming days and will keep you informed of any updates to the national calendar as they become available. See link below their latest release which includes links to advice from Sport NZ, Govt and MOE. COVID 19 ALERT LEVEL CHANGES (nzsssc.org.nz)
Lastly, in line with Ministry of Health recommendations, please remember:
- Wash hands regularly. Sanitise when entering and leaving the facility. Cough / sneeze into your elbow.
- Sanitisation is important – clean gear before and after
- Maintain physical distancing of 1m when not playing sport.
- Please stay home if you are sick or unwell.